Skip to main content

...'Cause You're Always On That Damn Phone


I May Be O B S E S S E D
Twitter graphics
______________
If Twitter could talk back to me, that’s exactly what it would say I am: obsessed. A few months back I deleted all social media apps off of my phone except for Twitter (I hadn’t felt the need to since 1. I didn’t usually feel twitter consumed most of my time 2. the person I was avoiding raaaarely tweeted LOL).


I’m happy I did it. I hadn’t realized how much twitter was actually alive and well before, so it opened that back up for me. I had gotten sucked into sharing video after video on Facebook, the enjoyment of opening and closing my Instagram to see people post their alluring photos, and I was totally annoyed with snapchat’s dark hole that sucked me in and had me feeling like the world truly wanted to see what I did with my life every second. It was all so addicting. No, seriously, I double tap in my text messages on accident or look for a like button on accident (shout out to Apple who now lets you react to messages lol).


I enjoy Twitter more than ever now and noticed how much it can be used sometimes to “tweet through it”. Whether it be that waiting period while you’re in line or on lunch break, or if you have something on your mind and just need to allude to it (becauseover-sharing is not cute, keep it light). I love how interactive it can be and how personal it can get without truly needing too much. It’s funny when you’re sad, it’s deep when things are going on, and it’s great when you may feel like none of your friends are answering your texts (lol).


But, what I truly realized after deleting all those apps and really spending time with my phone down was that I’ve been missing out on so much. No, the world wasn’t suddenly a new place for me, but I definitely was not spending time with my phone in my hand as much and opening up apps just for the hell of it. I engaged in conversations more often and noticed that when I hung with friends there were always long moments of silence because everyone would have a phone in their hand scrolling some social media site.


It irked my soul. Was this what I used to be like? I’m sure it was! I remember it.
Damn phone
___________________________

The best thing I gained from it? (Aside from some peace of mind) I could finally get some well deserved Z’s. You ever notice that when you lay down for bed you end up on your phone and next thing you know it’s 1am? It’s true, in the words of every mother out there, the reason we wake up so tired sometimes or can’t seem to see what’s right in front of us is because we are “always on that damn phone”. Basically, I had realized that despite how much I said social media didn’t control me, it did. It had and has a hold on me. I’m not necessarily ran by media but I definitely have made it a daily part of my routine. Not a bad thing, but definitely can be consuming if you don’t find a balance between sharing your life on a screen and sharing your life with people in your space.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

I challenge anyone to give up social media every so often (no announcement needed lol) and just kind of enjoy life a bit more for those few days/weeks/whatever. You won’t regret it! Don’t worry, those stellar #BreakTheInternet pics you collected on your time off can be posted later. lol




- Begum, over and out!  ;)


(I don't own any copyrights to any photos/graphics used in this post)

If you made it this far, go ahead and share, like, or tweet about it!


(c) 2017 Aisha Begum All Rights Reserved

Comments

  1. All of this is so true!! I have totally found myself going to bed late, and even running late to work for the sake of my internet bunny trails (Facebook to buzz feed to Pinterest...). Great post and great advice; just log off and live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I like that! Log off and live! New mantra lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Guide To Being Single

  ...From a happily single person   ( because I can’t give you relationship advice, right? )  So it’s 2017 and you’re still single . You logged on to your Facebook or Instagram and saw all the happy holiday proposals and I know all you could think about was, “Whoa, they were in a relationship? But they were all up in my DM’s!” So you probably begrudgingly hit that “like” button or said “Congrats! 😍” as you cried on the inside. Alas, you’re inching towards 30 and you’re being reminded of how single you really are. You lonely mf, you. I’m here to let you know: It’s really going to be okay . Being single is great, you’re just doing it wrong! (‘Cause I said so!) Hold on to your britches and swallow your pride, because I have some advice for you on how to be single. My 5 Flawless Tips to Being Single and Happy as F***! (so you can get out of bed with a smile because you went to bed not getting cheated on; you woke up like this!) Stunt On Your Ex B**** This